Thursday, April 28, 2016

The Fifth Tuesday/ We Talked About Family

Pages - 90 to 99

I believe the most impressional chaper of Tuesdays With Morrie, is the fifth Tuesday when Mitch and Morrie talked about family. One thing that really stood out to me was, when Morrie said on page 91, the fact is, "there is no foundation, no secure ground, upon which people may stand today if it isn't the family." I thought this was really interesting because, you hear about money buying happiness because you can get all earthly possessions you want, like a house or a cool car, but that's not really true. I know this for a fact because, in my own family we're not the richest, but we're still really happy. We have fun together, and we know that money isn't everything. We do everything we can to get by, and when we want something we can't have, we share what we do have to make up for it. Family is the foundation, and without a foundation you'll stumble. 

Another quote the Morrie said that really got me thinking was when he said, "if you don't have the support and love and caring and concern that you give my family, you don't have much at all. Love this is so supremely important. As a great poet Auden said, 'love each other perish.'" I found this quote really fascinating because, like I said above, a family is the foundation, and without a foundation you'll crumble. If you don't have your family, you're missing a very important part of life becasue family is always there for you if you need help. I also found what he quoted Auden on really truthful. I mean, everyone loves someone at one point in their life. And if you don't, then you become a hardened shell that will just perish or slip away. 

On page 92 Morrie says, "without love, we are birds with broken wings." I'm really focusing on love throughout this blog, but love is intertwined with family. They go hand in hand. And if you family is your foundation, love is your house. Without a foundation, you cannot build your house, therefore without family, you cannot have love. I mean yeah, you can feel love from friends and boyfriends, but I believe love from a sibling or parent is the most important love. Although, any type of love conquers. 


No comments:

Post a Comment