Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Final Tuesdays With Morrie Reflection 04.05.16

Prompt:
Book: Tuesdays With Morrie

The past three socratic seminars have influenced my thinking because the different viewpoints people mention, are totally different than how I looked at the topic myself. For example, Sam and Lilly brought up the idea of being number one as the best, but I didn't view that portion of the book like that all. In fact, I agreed with the idea of being number one is just the same if you've tried your hardest, like Paolo mentioned. However, Mariza proclaimed the idea of being the best as our culture. 

Based off of Mariza's comment I thought of how many other topics and beliefs our culture influenced on young people. Such as it may not be cool to do well in school or care about your education, or that money is power. Key categories that pertain to such a great involvement in our life, tend to 'brain wash' young people and even older people as well. And I don't mean literal brain wash, like you spend every waking moment of your day addicted to the category. As I mentioned brain wash, I meant such things like love. Now a days, TV shows are constantly pouring into our brain about different Hollywood romances or fictional romances. Our culture influences us to believe that love, like a boyfriend or girlfriend, is everything. But I beg to differ because there are cultures were a family's love is worth more than a boyfriend/girlfriend. Where children aren't even allowed to date, until they know what love really is. 

My trends from the previous three socratic seminars were very downhill. The first socratic seminar I was apart of, which was seminar number two, I talked a few times, most likely once or twice. Then  during the third, my second, I didn't really talk as much and I spoke once. My personal goal for each seminar was to be an advocate for myself and try to speak as much as possible, but that goal didn't work out so well. From the first to the last, I didn't  complete my target, as much as I tried to work up the nerve to speak, I don't do well with public speaking. 

Our group session in the first socratic seminar, we mainly focused on the book, and some people tried to bring others into the conversation. There wasn't a lot of 'white noise' during the first talking, because everyone was trying to put their input into a very important topic, and people were metaphorically trampling over everyone. Sometimes our sessions remind me of a heard of angry bulls. In comparison to our second talking, the group as a whole really focused on making connections to the real world. There also was parts where emptiness began seemping in, because I think we talked about a heavier subject, such as fear and helping others, than we have before. The last group talking we had on Wednesday, was filled with white noise because I feel that we didn't have much talking to. 

I believe topics that helped hinder a specific seminar, seminar no. 3, was the relations to the real world. Based off the connections from book to world, the group was able to grasp the severity of our actions and how being selfless could really change an entire incident. From this conclusion, I think the fact connections were in relation to Morrie's words, it really helped bring up different questions, connections, or just general statements to help prompt others to speak out, without literally calling a classmate out.



No comments:

Post a Comment