Monday, February 16, 2015

Poetry Reflection ~ O Captain! My Captain!

Prompt: Based on the poems you researched last week, choose one of the poems to write about in your  Poetry response. You may draw or find a graphic for your visualization, but make sure to explain your rationale for what you choose.

Poem: O Captain! My Captain! 

Author: Walt Whitman 

          In the spirit of President's day I chose the poem "O Captain! My Captain!" This poem is about Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War. Many lines refer to President Lincoln like; "O Captain! My Captain! Rise up!" Whitman can't believe Abraham Lincoln died, and is telling him to rise, the trumpets are ringing for you! "Here Captain! dear father! This arm beneath your head! It is some dream that on the deck, You’ve fallen cold and dead." Whitman is referring to Lincoln's assassination, Walt is trying to picture Lincoln's death. 

       I think Walt Whitman wrote this poem because, he was born in the 1819 and died in 1892. The  Civil War was taking place from 1861-1865. He was alive during the war and looked up to Lincoln. I think since he was alive during the war, he experienced it secondhand (firsthand being people in the war). He also (like I said before) looked up to Lincoln, so if your role model is killed your going to want to do something to remember them. 

      This poem (to be honest) reminds me of that one Full House episode, when Jesse is going back to school. In the episode, Jesse has to read the poem "O Captain! My Captain!" and he has to explain it. Well, Jesse never really looked deeply into the poem, he just thought it was about a captain. That's what it really reminded me of, but it also reminded me of remembering important leaders. Not just Abe Lincoln, but also other important leaders who were "captains of the boats". Like Mother Theresa and Muhammad Ghandi. 
     

Relation to Blog Question: Do you know where that statue is today? 
Closely Related Blog Question: Who was your favorite president? 

I commented on Diana A's., Lilly's., and Omar R's.

No comments:

Post a Comment