Friday, January 9, 2015

My New Adventure- Running My Own Charity Basketball Game Jan. 6th



     Yes this was a long time ago, but no other "adventure" was as fun as this one. It took a lot of work and a lot of patience to wait for the big day. I think one of the hardest things to do for the game was pick the teams (and try to make it equal). I mean the boys did win and a lot of people expected that, but I wanted to at least try and make the teams equal as in skill so it wouldn't be too unfair. It was a lot of fun to see everyone getting along as in teams because the girls and boys were just thrown together without any practice and worked really good together. There were a lot of talented people playing in the game and a lot of good coaches to coach the team which I think made it all equal. 

      The second hardest thing I had to do was probably the day of the game and trying to get everyone calm so we get the donations. At first it was just Jesus, Marco, Pam and I so when people started to flood into the hallway it got really crowded. Plus we only had one basket to hold the money and it was impossible to have 150 people come running at you excited to watch the game. When Ms. Suarez came I think is when we calmed down the most and started getting more organized. It was amazing to see how many people came and how many people donated! 

      The hardest part out of those two was to announce why I did this, not only do I have stage fright but just because it was very emotional to talk about my grandpa. I really had to think to write the speech because whenever I started to write how much I missed him and how much I really wish he was here to see me do this I would just start crying. Although I think he would be proud of me to see that I was doing this for him and many with Colon Cancer and Breast Cancer. 

     Overall I really had a fun time doing this entire game and I wish to do it again in 8th grade. Just in case, if you weren't there we raised around $150 to be split equally amongst Susan Cohan and Susan Komen. It was a boys versus girls basketball game, the players were on the Heritage teams. Mr. Caulkins was the coach for boys and Mr. Smith and Diana Chacon was the coach and assistant coach for the girls. There was a lot of funny moments during the game with some crazy shots, crazy air balls, and crazy blocks. 


If you have any other ideas for a charity game can you let me know? 

1 comment:

  1. Mia this is very inspirational! I know your grandpa would be proud.:)

    ReplyDelete