Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Mon. 11th "To Kill A Mockingbird" Finished

Prompt: Usually a reader imagines the places being described in the story. Draw a
picture of the image you have from this story. What do you usually see when
reading a story?

Pages Read: 254-Ending 

Book: To Kill A Mockingbird By: Harper Lee 


      I just finished To Kill A Mockingbird!!!!! Anyways, the image while reading this story I usually picture large houses with green grass in the front. I also picture the town with small businesses and the roads to be paved with brick not cement. I picture the courthouse as a medium sized rectangular building that is surrounded by green grass and many people on the grass waiting for Tom Robinson's case. I also usually picture the people being welcoming to kids like the neighbors and the store owners. Well of course except for the negroes or the Ewells. I picture all of this while reading the book, I see this all while reading and I get the understanding of it being a calm place to live. However, on the other hand when there was such a case as Tom Robinson's the calm place I pictured became a hateful angry place. While reading at that point I pictured the Ewell's place with garbage laying on the dirt and the houses broken down with other houses that are abandoned. 

this is how I picture the little girls and the women dressing in TKAM
     When I hear about the people in the book I picture ladies with long floral dresses and gloves with fancy hats. I picture Miss Maudie in her garden and telling stories to Jem and Scout, wearing a floral dress like the rest of the ladies and having a sun hat on with gardening gloves and an apron. I imagine Scout in overalls and t-shirts with beated gym shoes, and Jem in jeans with beated shoes. I also see the men in overalls with nice ironed slacks and dress shoes with button up shirts. Although this is a lot to picture every time I read this book I think of all these things. 

     When I read about the Tom Robinson case in the book I think of Tom Robinson sitting in a courtroom surrounded by people, not just people but angry white men who accused him of doing a naughty thing. I think of Mayella Ewell on trial and being scared with tears running down her cheeks. I picture her fiddling with her hands as a nervous witness would usually do. I can imagine Tom's "powerful shoulders rippled under his thin shirt" as Scout describes him. 






No comments:

Post a Comment