Tuesday, February 9, 2016

'Terezin' by Hanus Hachenburg Butterfly Project 02.08.16

II'm ThingLink Key:

Blue represents hopes, dreams, and fears, mood, tone, author's purpose, and imagery. Overall, the poetry analysis.

Black represents symbolic representations, colors, and textures. Overall, the butterfly explanation.

Yellow represents the MLA citations for the extra information sources.

Green represents the extra sources of information. Overall, the additional options.

The A represents a symbolic representation for the butterfly. It is a different tag because it was, to me, the most symbolic picture on the butterfly. It is filed under the butterfly explanation. 





Terezin by Hanus Hachenburg;


That bit of filth in dirty walls,
And all around barbed wire,
And 30,000 souls who sleep
Who once will wake
And once will see
Their own blood spilled.
I was once a little child,
Three years ago.
That child who longed for other worlds.
But now I am no more a child
For I have learned to hate.
I am a grown-up person now,
I have known fear.
Bloody words and a dead day then,
That’s something different than bogie men!
But anyway, I still believe I only sleep today,
That I’ll wake up, a child again, and start to laugh and play.
I’ll go back to childhood sweet like a briar rose,
Like a bell which wakes us from a dream,
Like a mother with an ailing child
Loves him with woman’s love.
How tragic, then, is youth which lives
With enemies, with gallows ropes,
How tragic, then, for children on your lap
To say: this for the good, that for the bad.
Somewhere, far away out there, childhood sweetly sleeps,
Along that path among the trees,
There o’er that house
Which was once my pride and joy.
There my mother gave me birth into this world
So I could weep . . .
In the flame of candles by my bed, I sleep
And once perhaps I’ll understand
That I was such a little thing,
As little as this song
These 30,000 souls who sleep
Among the trees will wake,
Open an eye
And because they see
A lot
They’ll fall asleep again. . .”

~A little about Hanus Hachenburg~
"In the 1940’s HanuŠ Hachenburg, 1929 - 1943/44, and other young boys, aged twelve to fifteen, lived in Barracks L417 from 1942 to 1944, or Home One, which the boys referred to as the Republic of Shkid. The Jewish boys secretly produced a weekly magazine called Vedem (In the Lead) at the model concentration camp, Terezin.
From the Hanus Hachenburg website. 
I commented on everybody's blog who posted their thinglink onto Blogger. 

7 comments:

  1. I really like your butterfly because it is very unique, and creative. One thing on your butterfly that stood out to me was in the center, it is a great picture to deceive being "trapped" in Terezin, or being a shadow. I also liked how you made your butterfly into a sort of half and half divided into good and bad, as I have seen before; but, you made it so it wasn't physically divided, but implied that there was a positive and negative side. It was a good idea to use actual pictures of the real things that were going on (in the camp), and just photos that weren't of Terezin to represent it as more of a 'dream'. Lastly, I like how you included extra information on Hans Hachenburg. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mia! I really like your butterfly and how you used primary sources (photos) in it. Just like Giovanna, the picture of the silhouette of the person being trapped stood out to me too. Looking for extra research on the author of your poem actually helped me understand your poem and butterfly way more. Knowing background information really does help, so good job with that.I though all of your tags were well written and had a great interpretation. NIce job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to start off by saying that the picture in the middle is my favorite. You did an exellent job of describing it and I could really see what the picture was trying to portray. I also really like how much the two different sides of the butterfly look different from each other. You did a really nice job at showing the difference with the explaination as well. If I could make one suggestion it would be to explain the sign on the gates in the picture on the top right. Most of our classmates know what it means, however it would be helpful to have as a reminder. Overall great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mia! Great job on your Butterfly Project! One thing that I was glad you included in the blog, was your actual poem. It's convenient for readers to be able to go back and forth and be able to connect your work with the poem's meaning and connotation. You also made it clear to readers that one side of the butterfly was representing positive, hopeful, and optimistic feelings and connotations, and that the other was for negative and depressed things. You described how and why you did this with words, but you really also made it explicit for viewers through colors and pictures. The thought behind the blank man in the middle was also very important to your poem, and I totally agree with why you added it into the project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Mia! I really like the look of your butterfly. I thought it was cool that you made a collage of many different pictures. I really liked how you really made it clear that one side was the hopes and dreams and the other side was the reality. It is similar to what I had on my butterfly. I also really liked the shadow in the middle. You can see that the person is trapped, and the dark color shows the despair in it. I also thought it was cool how you didn't sand the wood to represent how life during that time wasn't nice or smooth. One thing I noticed missing was the author's name on the actual butterfly. Other than that this was an excellent job done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Mia! As the other butterflies, I can tell that you spent a lot of time on your butterfly. I really liked the way how you split your butterfly, from dreams versus reality. I also liked your explanation on the picture of the boy next to the tree. How you explained what you thought his dreams were in the picture, and how you connected it to the poem "I never saw another butterfly".

    ReplyDelete