Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Berlin Memorial



         When completing our own classroom memorial,  I learned that Jews were stripped from every right an average German citizen had. I learned that Jewish doctors, teachers, and pretty much every Jewish business were shut down or destroyed during Kristallnacht in 1938. I also learned that Jews were first rationed on food and clothing, and later banned. For example, like milk and eggs. One piece of information that I realized by looking at the timeline is most of the events, like bans, and rations, took place during 1938, and 1942.

         I think the Berlin Lamppost Memorials was made to honor/remember those who had to live through the Numerbergh Laws. Think of the reason we have memorials today, we usually build memorials to honor those we respect, and to remember. I believe the reason the memorials are in Berlin is, Berlin is the capital of Germany, and Germany is the dominant country that disrespected the Jews. I don't necessarily think Germany regrets what took place, instead I feel they want to at least remember and show their condolences to the families who have lost their offspring and relatives.

         As stated before in the first paragraph, certain years there was an abundant amount of laws set, and in others there were little to none. However, sometimes only one law was needed to show the impact on the Jews and the true terror of the Nazi reign. For example, in 1945 there was only one event that had taken place, but it was a very important event. In 1945, the war was coming to an end and in order to save their own behinds, the Nazis destroyed/got rid of any and every piece of evidence that showed any racial superiority over the Jews.

       I think the restriction I would have the most difficulty with would be the rations of food, and later the bans on certain items. I think I would have the hardest time dealing with these restrictions because, you could live without entertainment and Non-Jewish friends, but you can't live without milk and eggs because, they hold certain nutrients that you need to intake in order to be healthy. Without the certain nutrients you could become very sick and unhealthy.  One law I would be fine with living under is, not being able to talk to other kids that are not Jewish because, I think I would be upset at them for living perfectly fine whilst my family was just trying to survive.


No comments:

Post a Comment