Sunday, November 16, 2014

Weekly Blog November 10th- "To Kill A Mockingbird"

Date: 11/13/14
Prompt: Analyze the impact word choice has on the meaning or tone of a text.
Analyze how dialogue or specific incidents reveal information about characters. Make sure to include textual evidence.
Pages Read: 47- 81




     "No," said Miss Stephanie. "Shot the air. Scared him pale though. Says if anybody sees a white n***** around that's the one. Say's he got the other barrel waitin' for the next sound he hears in that patch, an' next time he won't aim high, be it a dog, n*****, or- Jem Finch!" This paragraph said by Miss Stephanie has a negative connotation built for the book because the word choice she has in her sentence, and the place she is in (which is outside the Radley house, which is a super creepy house that houses Boo Radley a mysterious man living in the house.) Another part of the book that has a negative connotation would be "Mr. Nathan Radley was standing inside his gate, a shotgun broken across his arm." This proves the text has a negative connotation because he has a shotgun for Pete's sake! I mean for me I would think of a shotgun representing a negative connotation because of what people do with the guns and what they are related to thought wise and history wise.
     ""I'm goin' after 'em," he said. I sat upright "you can't. I won't let you"" Scout as, revealed in here, is now proclaiming to be the protective and worried sister of Jem Finch. This sentence shows that Scout is now more worried compared to the beginning of the book where she was care free and willing to do anything crazy with her older brother. "I'll be dogged," I said. "I didn't know no better to read than not to read to her, and she held me responsible-- listen Atticus, I don't have to go to school!" This also proves or reveals that Scout also worries a lot more than an average kid, prior to this sentence was when Scout was scolded by her teacher for reading the alphabet and plain reading incorrectly.
     She doesn't want to go back to school and she doesn't want to read with her father because the teacher told her to stop reading at home. Atticus tells her it's fine and she won't know, but she won't listen to him and she's worrying that the teacher is going to find out. I have a connection to this part of the story because I too worry a lot and I also get like nervous or overly scared because I think I am going to get yelled at or in trouble for doing something, like even if it's as simple as being out of uniform.

No comments:

Post a Comment