Friday, November 7, 2014

Reflection On Edgar Allan Poe

     After I read about Edgar Allan Poe I knew a lot about him, like his background, and how he grew up. Now I know that Poe's parent's died and that he had to live in a foster home with the Allan's, but his foster father did not like him. I also know that Poe went to college but his father did not send him with enough money to live off of, so he threaten his father to send him enough money otherwise he will get himself kicked out of school. After that he moved to Baltimore with his aunt and cousin (who he later fell in love with) and his cousin robbed him! I mean how rude! His own cousin who he could trust robbed him! When his father d
ied he completely left Poe out of his will, oh did I mention he was so poor that he had to burn furniture to keep warm? Yikes! Right? Later on he got a job with the "Messenger" and made it a big success, he asked his aunt and cousin to move in with him and he married his 13 year old cousin Virginia at the age of 23 years old. Poe later died of an unknown cause and his death remains a mystery.
     His background probably affects his writing pieces because I mean if you read the paragraph above ↑ you would see he has kind of a dark history. If you have that kind of background you would think that person (Poe) would only think dark, and if that is to be his state of mind than he is going to end up writing some pretty dark stuff. We read the "Tell Tale Heart" earlier this week and it was pretty dark I don't know where in his life he would get this story from but maybe it could be like the old man could be his dad (I am not referring to the narrator being Poe, but some authors have people they know as characters but just change their name and characteristics, but it's really meant for that one person.) Since his dad didn't like him that much to leave him out of his will (I mean that's harsh right? Am I the only person to think that?) his will! Maybe there was something about his dad that always got to Poe like one freaky big toe, or one freaky small finger, and the eye could represent that one thing.
    The one thing I find most intriguing is that he had to burn furniture for his warmth, I mean furniture! He had to be very poor in order to become that low where he couldn't afford wood or a match or lantern. I never thought someone could be really poor, don't get me wrong I know there are poor people in the world and that can't afford food and warmth but just to burn furniture?!? With all the smoke that comes from that he probably kept warm but he must have also had a terrible cough or inhaled some bad smoke. Another thing that shocked me was that he married his COUSIN at the age of 13!!! It shocked me for one because people in America don't go around marrying their cousins, like you don't think your cousin is cute would you? I wouldn't one because it's a family member we share some DNA (I think not completely positive with all the science stuff) and again it's your cousin! The second thing that shocked me about that was she was 13, not even like that old. That's like one of us marrying a college kid or someone that just graduated college.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment