Monday, May 23, 2016

I Believe In The Power of Impact

"Purpose"

Have you ever experienced a time in which you had to help someone, because you've been in that situation before? I remember being in a position where I wanted to help lower-income students receive school supplies. I recall staring at my computer screen, five months after my thirteenth birthday, reminiscing upon the time where I had to use back to school rally supplies, and wear hand-me-downs.

I felt like I could relate.  

Fast forward a couple of months of collecting donations for the students, when my family, friends, pastor, and I delivered those filled backpacks. Kids my age were just so happy to receive something that was finally, theirs. Parents were approaching me with expressions of gratitude for providing their students with a chance to better their education. I felt satisfied with my life. I felt, meaning. I understood my purpose was to help others in any way I could. 

I saw the impact I had on those boys and girls. I couldn't understand how amazing helping others made me feel. I felt like I could do anything I set my mind to. I didn't think about how young I was, or how some of the kids were older than me. 

I believe in purpose. I believe in impact. I believe purpose and impact go together: hand-in-hand. And I believe that one person's effort to make a ripple in the pond, can make a wave in the ocean. And it doesn't have to be a person as well known like Malala or Ghandi, anyone can make a difference. You could be nine, or you can be fifty-nine. Every contribution can make a change. 


No comments:

Post a Comment