Thursday, February 18, 2016

"Night" 02.18.16 *WARNING*

Prompt: Draw a picture for what you just read.

Warning: This drawing may be offensive to some people.




Inside my drawing, I wrote Nacht, in big block letters to represent the title of the book, just written in German. This didn't really have any reference to recent reading, but a reference to earlier in the book during Kristallnacht. 'Nacht' didn't have much of an impact on the book, but I believe it represented the beginning of the downfall for the Jews and other minority groups. Underneath Nacht, I wrote "why, but why would I bless Him?" This refers to page 67 in the new book, during Rosh Hashanah. During Rosh Hashanah, Elie completely shuns God and begins to start his rebellion. The 'NEVER' written underneath the quote represents the list of visions Elie says he will never forget. 

The children hanging from the ropes, (yes, is very graphic, but represents a piviotal moment in the book as well.) The children not only represent the actual hangings, but previously when he mentioned the quote above NEVER. Elie says, "Because He caused thousands of children to burn in His mass graves?" This reminded me of the kid that was hung because he was preparing for a rebellion. If you look closely, every hangmen holds the Star of David. I drew this in their hands because earlier in the book, Elie tells his dad internally, "then what killed you father?" 

The flames above the Nacht refer to one of the 'nevers.' If you look inside the flames very closely, I wrote 'God' diagnally in cursive. This represents when Elie says, "Never shall I forget those moments which murdered my God and my soul and turned my dreams to ashes." This reminded me of the cylindrical room inside the Holocaust musuem that had the names rising up into ashes. I drew my flames kind of like the room, with God and Elie's hopes rising with the ashes because he has lost hope and faith.  

2 comments:

  1. Wow...this is amazing! What a powerful picture and analysis you wrote, Mia!

    ReplyDelete