Thursday, April 23, 2015

OMAM Blog Mon. April 20th

  The atmosphere around the bunkhouse and ranch is hardworking, negative, and unsterile. They work hard during they. I know this because it says, "...his head still dripped water from scrubbing and dousing." (Pg. 35), if his head is dripping with water, it may be because of his job he is assigned. If he was into his work that much, that his head is dripping water, he must be a hard worker. It is also a bit negative; with they way they talk about Curley. For example, when George is talking to Lennie about Curley's attitude towards the big fella, he explicitly states, "I hate that kinda bastard..." (Pg.29). I also say unsterile because, George when he first walks in, he finds a bottle of bug repellent. It shows, that maybe Candy was just lying to him, and there was roaches or crawlers around the bunkhouse.

     I think Curley's wife doesn't have a name because; you call people by their name out of respect. Instead of saying like, him, she, her, he, it, that, you call them Diana, Siari, Evie, Chantal, etc. It could be that Steinbeck just gives her the name of 'Curley's Wife', to show disconnection of her and the men. Which is basically the theme of the book, friendship. Since Curley's Wife is the only woman out of many male, she doesn't have companionship like Lennie and George. Which would explain Candy's dog, and maybe that's why she also married Curley. Maybe she was just lonely, and that's why she is a flirt. Maybe, she is just lonely, since Curley is walking around with a hothead. But, that's my theory.


6 comments:

  1. Great job! I agree with you on the 'hardworking' part of your first chapter, if that makes sense. I liked how you didn't go straight to judge Curley's wife and try to find another explanation, as many other people did when we where reading the chapter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's a book character, but I still didn't want to judge if I didn't know her history.

      Delete
  2. Good job Mia! I really liked how you took evidence from the book, quoted it, and used it to your advantage and to help you back up your interpretations. You didn't just say what you thought, you supported it. I think your idea about Curley's Wife being lonely, and that's why she's flirting has reason behind it. I guess I never really thought of it that way. The only thing I don't like, is your font color. However, I can't really complain against that. Again, good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to find out if he does put a reason behind of her being a flirt. Steinback does a great job of putting a mysterious tone into this book with her. I should've read this when you told me to.

      Delete
  3. Great Job. I saw that you used my name as an example. I agree with the part about the bunkhouse and ranch. They are very hardworking, but at the same time they argue a lot. Also that is a good guess on why she doesn't have a name. I never thought of it that way. Once again, great job!

    ReplyDelete