Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Weekly Blog Mon. Oct. 27th "Curveball the Year I Lost My Grip"

 Prompt: What have you been reading? What does it remind you of in your own life?

Book: Curveball the Year I Lost My Grip


   
      Imagine, you're standing on the mound, sweat's pouring from your face, and you have your cap tightly around your head. Your cleats are too tight, and your jersey is too roomy! Your glove is feeling like its to big, and you think your arm is about to fall off. Everyone on your team is all depending on you, the batter is practicing his swinging, but you can't pay attention to any of this. The only thing you can feel is the shocking and stinging pain in your arm near your elbow, Craacckk!! Your elbow grinds together like two pennies scratching each other! You suddenly fall to the ground in agony and you close your eyes so you can't see anything or maybe anyone. You try stopping the tears from flowing from your eyes, and you feel someone and hear someone. They're calling your name and you won't listen.
     This is the main conflict for "Curveball the Year I Lost My Grip" by Jordan Sonnenblick. Pete who has been feeling something wrong with his elbow he was just afraid to tell his coach or his best friend Aj in fear of getting benched. This book can relate to my life because my sister has a lot of problems and she plays basketball with the problems. Like a couple years ago when I lived in Lyons, we had a huge backyard and we had a huge space for basketball, so my brother and sister were playing and she rolled her ankle but kept playing with the pain. The ball went over our neighbors gate and she jumped the fence but when she jumped back over there is this long piece of round brown wood that is lined agains the fence and she landed the wrong way on her (rolled) ankle and sprained it.
     This is similar to Pete's situation because he felt the pain in his elbow but he kept playing baseball to not feel like a wuss or to just completely leave the pain. My sister felt the pain in her ankle but kept playing basketball and then really hurt her ankle to the point were she couldn't walk on it and couldn't move it. (I mean it was nasty like it was all big and fat, with bluish purple going on. It was like 3x's her normal size ankle.) I can also relate to Pete because when he was injure his Coach had to lift him off the ground and it hurt him then he had to move his arm which sends spine chilling feelings. When I broke my collarbone I was on the ground and I couldn't move my right arm because it sent shocks throughout my arm, so it hurt and I felt the same pain he did when I read it because I had prior knowledge of how it felt.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment